You've got your heart set on a gas mower, but you don't need anything fancy. There are lots of people who find themselves in this position each year, and invariably they end up paying over the odds for a model that has a bunch of bells and whistles that they'll never use. Enter the Yard Machines 132cc. It doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, providing you with the bare minimum to get the job done. Have a read through our Yard Machines 132cc push mower review to see if it might be just what you're looking for.
Yard Machines 132cc Review - Specifications
|Deck Size||20 inches|
|Cutting Modes||Side Discharge|
|Cutting Heights||1.25 - 3.75 inches|
|Number of Cutting Heights||3|
Yard Machines 132cc Push Mower Pros: What People Like About this Mower
- It Does the Business – If this mower were a human, you’d want it with you in a street fight. It doesn’t back down when the going gets tough. We scoured the web and read report after report about how the Yard Machines 132cc laughs in the face of long grass, thick grass and weeds. It runs right through them and doesn't blink. So in terms of the cut, it doesn't disappoint. We'd obviously advise you to keep on top of your yard duties, but it's always good to know the power is there if you need it.
- She’s a Reliable Starter – If you've been put off a gas mower in the past through fear of being unable to start it, you needn't worry about that with this model. We found time and time again that consumers report that this mower is an extremely reliable starter, and on the vast majority of occasions it starts at the first time of asking. One other nice feature is that there's a small metallic "eye" attached to the handlebar, which stops the starter cable from retracting all the way to the main body of the unit. This means you don't need to bend right down every time you start it. You will really come to appreciate this if you're not as young as you once were or suffer from a bad back.
- Lightweight + Agile – Don’t get us wrong, this isn’t the lightest mower out there, and it isn’t a self-propel model either so you will have to push it yourself. But most people say that it’s both light and easy to maneuver around the lawn, so if you’ve got tree stumps to cut around and fences to go along, most people should be able to control it with ease.
- Straightforward to Use – We’ve said this already, but we’ll say it again just to emphasize this point. This is a very basic gas mower. It doesn’t have many features. There’s no grass catcher to mess around with or any fancy technology. No sir, just the bare minimum. The advantage of this is that it keeps things simple. You just fire it up and push. There’s really no more to it than that.
- Quiet (for a Gas Mower) – Let’s face it, yard tools are always quite noisy. So we’re not for a second saying that you won’t notice the noise the Yard Machines 132cc makes. You will. But we found quite a few folks saying that it’s considerably quieter than other gas mowers that they’ve had in the past.
- Very Affordable for What You Get – The thing that you’re going to love the most about this mower, especially if your needs are very basic, is that it is super affordable. Rather than paying more than you wanted to get a mower with features you’ll never use, you just pay for what you actually need and save yourself some $$$. And any time you can keep a few extra dollars in your pocket and still get what you need, you’re winning.
Yard Machines 132cc Push Mower Cons: What People Complain About
- Tricky to Assemble – We repeatedly came across people that said they found this more difficult than they had hoped to put together. It has to be said that we also found quite a few people that didn’t have an issue with assembly, but any time we find frequent complaints about any aspect of any lawn mower we review, it needs to be mentioned. You will need to attach the wheels (you’ll see why in a minute), the handle and then add oil and gas. They don’t ship any tools with it, and you will need a socket wrench to assemble this. If you’re not particularly great at DIY and those kinds of things, you may want to ask someone who is for help if you decide to buy.
- Cutting Height Adjustment is Cumbersome – If your current mower has a one-lever system to change the cutting height, you’ll probably miss it badly if you replace it with the Yard Machines 132cc. That’s because you actually have to remove the wheels, reposition them and then bolt them back on just to change the cutting height. And you have to do this one by one. As you can imagine, this can take a while, so if you change height often, you might want to take a pass on this mower. There are only 3 different cutting heights too.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Yard Machines 132cc Push Mower
Is this a 2 cycle or 4 cycle engine?
The engine on this is 4 cycle.
Is it fitted with a Briggs and Stratton engine?
No. The Yard Machines 132cc comes equipped with a Powermore engine.
Is it possible to buy a compatible bag for this?
No, and it can’t mulch either. The only option you have is to side discharge the clippings.
The Bottom Line
You've read what we think of the Yard Machines 132cc in terms of it's strengths and weaknesses. Now we're going to bring this review to a close by discussing best use cases.
Leave It on the Shelf
Yard Machines 132cc Review Conclusion:
The Yard Machines 132cc Push Mower is a basic but very capable gas mower. What you get is very limited (you can only discharge your clippings for example), but it all works as it should. And that's actually quite rare among lawn mowers, so we give it a big thumbs up.
Leave a Reply