Toro has long since been one of the leading names within the garden maintenance industry, offering a range of different lawn mowers, string trimmers, leaf blowers and hedge trimmers. In addition to being popular amongst millions of homeowners around the globe, commercial landscaping services have also endorsed their products by using them on golf courses, public parks and sports fields. In terms of their string trimmer range, garden enthusiasts have recognized the quality of the Toro 51486 by making it the best selling cordless electric string trimmer on the market today.
The Toro 51486 weed eater is designed for people who want to enjoy the freedom of a gas powered model (as there’s no cable to trail around) but want something that is both lighter and easier to start. Studies conducted by Toro have shown that a large number of string trimmer users are frustrated at having to buy both a trimmer and edger when the technology is very similar. They took this feedback onboard, implementing a rotatable head and a small wheel into the design that allows users to edge as well as trim. This multi-use functionality is one of the main reasons it has proved so popular with gardeners and lawn services alike.
Here are the Benefits of the Toro 51486 String Trimmer:
- The Toro 51486 is powered by a 24-volt lithium-ion battery which means you don’t have the hassle of managing a long cable behind you, nor is it difficult to start. Simply squeeze a trigger and you are up and running – much easier than the sometimes strenuous starter mechanism on a gas powered model. You can expect to get about an hour’s runtime from each charge and Toro have implemented a nice little battery power gauge that allows you to see how much charge is left at the push of a button.
- This model provides you with dual functionality, allowing you to both trim and edge your lawn all with the same piece of equipment. This saves you time as you no longer have to changeover tools, and money as you no longer need to buy an edger in addition to a trimmer. The transition from trimmer to edger is fast and simple; one flick of a switch and you can be edging in seconds. There is also a small guide wheel that helps you to keep to a straighter line.
- The adjustable 14 inch handle has been a godsend to many gardeners, allowing you to set the handle to a height that is comfortable for you. You no longer have to endure back pain when trimming or edging your lawn thanks to the Toro 51486.
- The Power Saver mode allows you to conserve battery charge, which is particularly handy if you have a large area to maintain as it will allow a greater runtime. This is done by cutting the length of the wire down to 10″ as opposed to the usual 12″.
- It is constructed from quality materials allowing it to remain lightweight yet robust. This should ensure you get a good number of years out of it before having to replace it.
Here are the Reported Disadvantages of the Toro 51486
- When edging you aren’t provided with enough protective cover and it is possible that debris might be thrown up. Gardeners have countered this by titling the edger away from their body and wearing protective glasses whilst doing the job.
- The automatic line feed mechanism has frustrated some people, particularly when edging, with reports that it does not function correctly. In order to use this mechanism properly you need to understand how it works. You have to occasionally release the trigger and let the trimmer head slow down. Just prior to stopping completely you will hear a slight clicking noise, which is the line being fed out.