Snapper is known for producing high-quality lawn care products and the Snapper HD 48V cordless mower is a great example of their work. Just looking at it makes me want to get out and mow. No joke. It looks so well designed and comes packed with a nice array of features, including a 20-inch steel deck, 3-in-1 functionality, 7 different cutting heights and load-sensing technology that adjusts the power level according to the conditions being cut. You can buy a push mower version of this same model, but in this Snapper HD 48V review, we're going to be focusing on the self-propel version. We'll cover its pros, cons, as well as who we believe it to be a good fit for.
Snapper 1688022 HD 48V Review - Specifications
|Battery||48V Removable Battery|
|Deck Size||20 inches|
|Cutting Modes||3-in-1 - Rear Bagging, Side Discharge & Mulching|
|Cutting Heights||1 3/8 - 3 3/4 inches|
Snapper HD 48V Cordless Mower Pros: What People Like About this Mower
- Cuts Well in All Conditions – Some cordless mowers are grossly underpowered and while they look great and are good for the environment, don’t perform when it counts. The Snapper HD 48V though is a different animal. During our research we found lots of consumers saying it cut down tall and thick grass with relative ease, so you're covered for most scenarios you should find yourself in.
- Battery Life is Decent + Charges Fast – Most companies producing cordless mowers tend to oversell the runtime of their batteries. Snapper says you can get “up to 60 minutes runtime” (note the use of “up to” which rarely means you actually achieve that figure). We didn’t find anyone that mentioned getting 60 minutes, but we found plenty that enjoyed using their mower for 40-45 minutes, which is still very good. On top of that, the battery charges up very quickly, not like the cordless mowers of old. In most cases, it seems to be fully charged after just 2 hours. If you plan on using this mower on an area that is likely to take longer than 45 minutes-ish, then you would probably need to look into buying a spare battery, so that when one is drained, you can just replace it with the spare and keep on mowing.
- Self-Propel Option + Mower Easy to Handle – There are quite a few folks that say this mower is pretty lightweight and that the self-propel feature is not totally necessary. So if you’re reasonably strong, you might want to look at buying the push version and save yourself a considerable amount. Having said that, lots of people do find the self-propel feature useful, particularly elderly users and people that have slopes and dips in the area they have to mow. Most say that the self-propel system is simple enough to operate (just flick a switch), but that the speed it goes at is quite fast, even on the lowest setting.
- Built Like a Quality Product – At this price, you expect a product that is built well, and the Snapper HD 48V doesn’t disappoint. It features a sturdy steel deck that will better resist bumps, scrapes and won’t crack if you accidentally roll the mower over some stray debris on your lawn. It also features high-quality wheels that roll smoothly and a high-quality brushless motor.
- You’ll Enjoy the Quiet Mowing – Mowing is never a silent affair, but some lawn mowers produce wayyyy more noise than others (some are quite literally deafening). The Snapper HD 48V finds itself at the other end of the spectrum. The noise is noticeable, but not to the extent that you risk losing your hearing or getting into a heated argument with your neighbors.
- Stores Vertically to Take Up less Space – This is a really smart feature that I really like. When you're done mowing, you can fold the handles up and the mower can be stored vertically, resting on a part of the handle assembly that turns into a support. This saves you tons of space and is ideal if you want to make the most of the space you have. And who doesn't want to do that?!
- Handles are Nice and Comfy – On a lot of the cheaper mowers, the handles offer no padding and after a while, your hands can start to tire, particularly if there is considerable vibration. On the Snapper HD 48V, the handle features a nice layer of comfortable foam, which just makes your mowing experience that much more comfortable.
- It’s Super Easy to Change Cutting Height – This mower comes equipped with a single-lever system that allows you to change between the 7 available cutting heights within just a couple of seconds. This lever lowers and raises all four wheels at once.
Snapper HD 48V Cordless Mower Cons: What People Complain About
We found very few consistent complaints about the Snapper HD 48V cordless mower. Sure, we came across a few disgruntled customers, and you’re always going to find them with any product, but we didn’t find any consistent patterns. No single feature or fault that was referred to on a consistent basis. That said, you might want to consider the following:
- Customer Service Could Be Better – One thing that we found to be quite disappointing is that we came across several instances whereby someone had a problem with the product (either missing parts or something on the mower broke), and these folks reported very poor experiences with the customer services team. It would seem that often the support staff you get over the phone or via email are not particularly knowledgeable about the products, so if you have a specific issue with a particular model, they might not be much use. We also read reports of Snapper Authorized Service Centers not willing to work on a product that was bought online, and they’re not always super close by either. Now we must stress that we didn’t find many instances in which the consumer actually needed to get in touch with the customer service. But it’s something to think about, and it might just be worth checking where your nearest Authorized Service Center is before you buy.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Snapper HD 48V Cordless Mower
Does the Snapper HD 48V mulch grass and leaves?
Yes. You can both mulch and bag with this mower.
What is the blade made out of?
The Snapper 1688022 comes with a metal cutting blade. 84001939 is the part number if ever you need to buy a replacement.
The Bottom Line
Now that you've seen what we think are its main pros and cons, it's time to draw our Snapper HD 48V review to a close. Here's who we think it'd be a good fit for...
Leave It on the Shelf
Snapper 1688022 HD 48V Review Conclusion:
The Snapper 1688022 HD 48V is the perfect alternative if you want to get away from gas. It offers the freedom, as well as the power, and the battery performance is pretty decent. If it weren't for the issues we found with customer service this might have got the sacred 5 stars, as the actual product is top notch!