Whilst people are generally being steered towards more environmentally friendly options, gas mowers still remain a good option for larger sized lawns. I recently reviewed the Husqvarna 6021P, which looked very promising in all of the promotional material I looked at beforehand. During this review I'm going to tell you how I got on with it, what I liked and if there was anything that I wasn't so keen on.
Husqvarna 6021P Review - Specifications
|Kohler Courage Single
|3 in 1 - Mulching, Rear Bag Collection, Side Discharge
|1.25 - 3.42 inches
Husqvarna 6021P Review – Key Features
- Setting It Up – This was as simple as I hoped it would be. After I took it out of the box I tightened up the handle bar, put the grass bag on and then filled it with oil, which was included (bonus points for that!). After that it was just a case of adding the fuel and I was raring to go.
- Size and Build – In terms of size, the Husqvarna 6021P is a fairly standard 21 inches. The handle even folds over nicely to reduce its storage size. I wasn’t too impressed with the construction however. Whilst you do get a metal deck, the metal is a lot thinner than on other gas mowers I’ve used. When you consider that this is susceptible to rust and it’s not really that thick, I’m not sure how durable it’s going to be. Apart from that the mower is made out of plastic components, which are mainly okay apart from the wheels. In my opinion the wheels don’t seem like they will handle that much punishment and I think with regular use on uneven ground they could suffer. They also seem to be positioned too wide, meaning you need to overlap on every pass to cut all your grass. One other thing I found is that the flap at the back of the mower seems to be too rigid. When I was mowing with one of the lower cut settings I found it dragged along the floor which made pushing the mower more difficult. The one thing I did like was the fuel tank on this model. Sometimes the fuel tanks on gas mowers are so small that you end up spilling gas everywhere but on this one it’s got a wide mouth, making it easy to fill with gas.
- Kohler Engine – The engine seems really solid and reliable and has an automatic choke. You don’t have to worry about priming it, you just pull and go. When I was mowing the engine seemed to have a decent amount of power and that’s always a good sign with a gas mower.
- 3-in-1 Cutting System – You can choose a cutting mode to suit the conditions of your garden. You can bag your clippings to keep everything nice and tidy, we can mulch to feed back nutrients to your grass and you can side discharge when taking down those weeds. Having options is never a bad thing.
- Handle –With the handle, there were good points and there were bad points. I liked the fact that you can adjust the height of the handle as I’ve sometimes used mowers that have a low handle that can’t be adjusted and I end up with backache when I’ve finished. However the foam on the handle really isn’t up to par. Its poor quality and I really feel that it would tear easily. To try and prevent or repair this you could try using duct tape (my friend recommended this to me).
Husqvarna 6021P Review – How Did It Perform?
- Cutting Ability – In terms of cutting, the mower performed pretty well for me. I found the engine packed plenty of power and allowed me to cruise through practically all areas of my grass. Only on some real overgrown stuff did it bog down a bit – but I expected that. I made use of the mulch feature and the results were more than acceptable. I also found that the mower ran very efficiently on gas, meaning it’s quite cheap to run – bonus!
- Grass Collection – My experience when switching to the rear bagging option wasn’t so good. There seemed to be a design fault as there was a gap between the base of the bag and where it attaches to the mower. This resulted in clippings being blown out of this back onto my lawn. It is possible to plug this gap with tape (another recommendation from my friend) but you shouldn’t really have to do this in the first place.
- Manoeuvrability – The mower rolled along my lawn fairly effortlessly (on higher cut settings) but I just got the sense that the wheels are fairly fragile. I think this is something that Husqvarna need to address as I also had similar doubts when reviewing the 7021P model. I did have a few problems on the lowest cut setting though as the flap at the rear of the mower did seem to catch on the ground. Again you can adjust this – but why should you have to?
- Usability – It’s super easy to start which is a relief as when people think of gas mowers they usually think of machines that destroy your shoulders. However even with a light pull on the cord this one fired up no problem. From there it’s fairly straightforward to operate it. Keep hold of the dead man’s bar and push in the direction you want to go.
Husqvarna 6021P Review – Who Should Buy This Mower?
There’s no doubt that this model is priced reasonably for what you get. As long as you don’t expect it to last for years and years like in the old days, I think you’ll be fairly pleased with it. Its size is ideally suited to medium-size garden and I would recommend that you use it on flat ground.
Husqvarna 6021P Review – Who Shouldn’t Buy This Mower?
Anyone that tends to use and abuse their lawn mowers should walk right past this one. The quality of construction is not as high as I would like to see and I don’t think it would last long if not treated with a certain degree of care. I also wouldn’t be too keen on regularly using this on a garden that had a lot of bumps and dips because the part where the wheels connects to the mower seem to be a bit weak in my opinion. In terms of size, I wouldn’t use it on a large lawn because of the wheel placement. You end up having to overlap your passes because the wheels are placed too wide and this means the job takes longer. The Husqvarna 6021P won’t be a perfect fit for everyone but is an economical solution to maintaining your garden. The cut is exceptionally good, it mulches really well, is easy to start up and easy-to-use in general. As long as you are aware of both its positives and limitations before you buy it I’m sure you will be happy. If you are interested in buying this mower for the best price anywhere, head over to Amazon.com and they’ll even ship it to you for free.