The Greenworks 21212 packages a high level of performance, time saving features and ease of use into an affordable corded electric string trimmer. It's no surprise that it is currently one of the top selling models out of the dozens of string trimmers available and is the ideal choice for average yard work. On top of that you get an impressive 4 year warranty and the satisfaction of maintaining your yard emission free.
It would definitely be a challenge to find a better value for money string trimmer than the Greenworks 21212 and the benefits it provides far outweigh the reported disadvantages. It is extremely easy to use. As long as you can pull a trigger and handle 5.5 lbs you will be a good team. The maintenance you will need to do to keep it running is minimal too. Just give it a wipe down before putting it back in the shed and you can forget about it until the next session.
Here are the Benefits of the Greenworks 21212 String Trimmer:
- The 4 Amp motor on the Greenworks 21212 works beautifully. It provides enough power to be able to cleanly cut through grass and weeds, while operating very smoothly and only producing minimal vibration, preventing you from getting numb hands while trimming.
- For a trimmer of this price it is quite impressive that it is armed with an auto line advancement feature. As on other Greenworks models, this system works by feeding a 1/4″ of new line through every time you click the starter trigger. This is a very quick way of correcting a shortened line, and prevents you from wasting time fiddling around with the line manually.
- As well as trimming, you can edge your garden with the Greenworks 21212. To do this, the handle simply rotates 180 degrees with a simple adjustment that takes a matter of seconds. So leave those hand tools in the shed and let this model do the edging for you too!
- When trimming you need to hold your trimmer in a position that is comfortable for you. That position will not be the same for everyone, which is why Greenworks have incorporated a telescopic shaft that allows you to personalize the set-up to your own preferences. There is also a secondary handle that provides you with additional support and takes the pressure off your back.
- Accidentally pulling the power cord out of the trimmer is an absolute pain and on some models it can happen pretty easily. On this Greenworks trimmer there is a cord lock feature that prevents this from happening and allows you to just get on with the job.
Here are the Reported Disadvantages of the Greenworks 21212:
- While the handle on this model does extend to multiple positions, taller users have commented that even when fully extended it is a little shorter than they would prefer.
- A few gardeners have said the secondary handle can work itself loose from time to time and slip. This can be easily fixed by simply tightening it up again with a screwdriver, but is something to be aware of.
- With the way in which the auto line advancement system functions, you need to make sure that you don’t become too “trigger happy”, as doing so can lead to problems. Firstly you can go through spools of line very quickly and secondly, if the line becomes too long it can wrap itself around the hub. Many other reviews state problems getting hold of replacement spools for the Greenworks 21212, but the spools stocked by HomeDepot for the Homelite trimmer are an exact match and are easy to get hold of.