Whether you live in the city or the countryside, if you've got a small lawn to take care of a lot of the mowers on the market will be overkill. You won't use even half of the features on them, they'll be more difficult to maneuver and ultimately you'll end up spending wayyyy more than you need to. For this type of lawn maintenance, a small manual push reel mower is probably your best bet, and in this Great States 204-14 review, we’ll introduce you to one of the leading models in this category.
Great States 204-14 Review - Specifications
|Manufacturer||American Lawn Mower|
|Cutting Width||14 inches|
|Cutting Heights||1/2 - 1 3/4 inches|
|No. of Blades||4|
|Dimensions||23 x 8.5 x 13 in|
Great States 204-14 Pros: What People Like About this Mower
As one of the most popular reel mowers currently for sale, there’s a whole lot to like about the Great States 204-14, and in this section we’re going to talk about some of the strengths we found during our research.
- Easy Setup – It’s always a good start when you buy a new yard tool and it either requires little to no setup or is very straightforward to set up. And that’s what you get with this mower. If you follow the instructions that come with it, in 10-15 minutes you should be done and ready to mow! And all you’re going to need is a small wrench and a large flathead screwdriver.
- Nice Compact Design – Hand reel mowers by their very nature are very simple in design and the Great States 204-14 is definitely no different. With a compact, barebones design, it doesn’t take up much space when stored (perfect in city properties where space is often at a premium), and there’s really not much that can go wrong with it. Sometimes simple really is better!
- The Definition of Lightweight – This particular model is the smallest in this range manufactured by Great States (14 inch cutting width), and can only be described as “lightweight.” Anyone that says it is heavy will say every lawn mower that exists is heavy; well apart from a pair of scissors maybe?! It weighs around 20 pounds and you won’t find many lighter alternatives for sale, and whether you’re old or young, strong or weak, you shouldn’t have too much of a problem pushing this mower around your yard.
- Easy to Use – We’ve already touched on this, but the fact that the design is so simple means there’s no real learning curve. What you see is what you get, and you can pick up how to operate it in two seconds flat. Whereas with modern gas and cordless electric mowers, you nearly always need to invest an hour or so going through all the documentation. Who has time for that?! Especially if you only have a small patch of grass to take care of.
- Quiet and Good for the Planet – Manual push mowers are the only genuine type of “environmentally friendly” mowers on sale today. It doesn’t matter how well they market the latest innovations (cordless electric mowers and robotic mowers typically), the fact is they will never be as good for the environment as this mower is. The only energy it consumes is yours, and it doesn’t pollute. And we’re not just talking about fumes; no noise pollution either. It operates quietly enough to not need ear protection. Amen to that!
- Clean Cut – Most people know by now that cylinder or reel mower blades are much better for the health of your grass than rotary mowers (and if you didn’t, they are!), due to the cleaner, crisper way they slice the grass blades. Your grass recovers quicker as a result and will be less vulnerable to lawn disease and pests. And the Great States 204-14 mower produces a good quality cut time and time again, provided you keep on top of your maintenance. Let you grass overgrow frequently though, and you’ll likely find that performance suffers.
- One of the Most Affordable Options - You'll be hard pushed to find a more affordable way to maintain your lawn. On top of that, it's a onetime fee; there are no ongoing costs associated with this mower and no real cost to maintain it. With electric mowers you have to buy an extension cord, with gas mowers you need gas and oil, and with battery mowers, you'll periodically have to replace the battery.
Great States 204-14 Cons: What People Complain About
- Not Heavy Duty By Any means – Twigs and leaves will stop you in your tracks. And it's not ideal for tackling long or bent grass either. You'll need to get used to clearing your lawn from debris before you start, and mowing frequently to keep the grass to a manageable length. You need to decide whether you are happy to do that?
- Parts of Construction a Little Cheap – The handle bars and the part that connects it to the main frame is a little on the cheap side. The main frame is nice and solid though. To be honest, at this price point, you're simply not going to get the most well-made mower out there.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Great States 204-14 Lawn Mower
Does the handle fold down for storage?
No, the handle on the Great States 204-14 doesn't fold down for storage. The storage footprint of this mower is already very small though.
Is there a grass catcher that can be purchased to use with this mower?
While no catcher comes with this model, there is a compatible grass catcher that you can buy and fit to the 204-14. You can find it here.
Does it cut in both directions?
No, this lawn mower will only cut when you push it forward. It will not cut when pulled backward.
How many blades does the Great States 204-14 mower have?
It boasts 4 blades, which are made of heat-treated alloy steel.
The Bottom Line
We're now going to cut right to the chase and outline exactly who we think the Great States 204-14 mower is suited to.
Leave It on the Shelf
Great States 204-14 Review Conclusion:
The Great States 204-14 is a beautifully simple lawn mowing solution. There are no bells and whistles. No latest-generation gimmicks that are meant to make your life easier. What you see is what you get, and for those that need to take care of a small lawn, 9/10 it will do the job just fine.
Leave a Reply