Over the last few years reel mowers have been making a comeback. They are not bad option for anyone that has a small garden and if maintained properly they usually outlast any other type of lawnmower. Fiskars are a company that offers several different models of reel mower, providing innovative technology to enhance the performance of this type of mower.The Fiskars 6207 is one of the models that I had heard good things about. It comes complete with patented technology and I was pretty interested to see if it lived up to all the hype. I wheeled out onto my lawn and tested it out. This review presents the different features the model offers, how it performs and what conditions it is best suited to.
Fiskars 6207 Review - Specifications
|Cutting Width||17 inches|
|Cutting Heights||Factory Set 1-5 - 3.5 Inches|
Guaranteed Best Price on Amazon
Fiskars 6207 Review – Key Features
- Assembly – You do have to put this mower together, but before you start panicking it’s not overly complicated. Before you start you’ll need a couple tools – a screwdriver and a socket wrench. Then it’s just a matter of following the instructions. I have to say that the instructions were impressive. Usually with mowers you get a useless booklet that is full of unclear instructions that are littered with grammatical mistakes (as they are usually written by a non-native English speaker). In total there are six screws that you use to attach the handle and the rear wheels and you also need to make sure that the blade is properly positioned (sometimes this can move during shipment, so just check that out). In total I probably spent 20 minutes setting it up.
- Size and Build – 17 inches is a kind of middle of the road size. It’s not massive but at the same time it’s not small either. This ensures you get a decent amount of grass cut with each pass but you can still fit into relatively tight spaces. In terms of build quality it is first rate. When you are using it, it feels like it will last for a long time, but it still remains fairly lightweight. All of the components seem to fit together nicely and the materials used are high-quality.
- StaySharp Technology – Sharpening the blades on your mower is not exactly a task you look forward to. But with the StaySharp feature you won’t have to. Obviously this really needs to be tested over a period of time to check whether it is effective but it is certainly a great idea. I do have doubts as to whether it will completely remove the need to sharpen the blades, but even if it reduces the frequency of this chore then it will have served its purpose.
- Inertia Drive – This feature is certainly an improvement on other reel mowers. You won’t find this technology on any other brand of reel mower as Fiskars currently have a patent pending for it. On a lot of the other reel mowers I’ve used the friction created as the blades turn with the wheels means it is sometimes really hard to push, especially in thick patches of grass. The Inertia Drive allows the blades to spin at a much higher velocity than the wheels, providing you with more power. I thought this was a really innovative and useful feature.
- Cutting Heights – When you first set it up the mower has a cutting range of 1.5 to 3.5 inches. I’ll start off by saying that this is a good range, allowing you to get a neat finish. If you want the ability to cut to a higher length the cutting range can be modified so that you can cut in the 2 to 4 inch range. To do this you’ll need to follow the instructions on the documentation that comes with the mower. The actual process of changing the height is really easy. There is a knob on each side of the mower, just pull both of them out, set it to the height of your choice and then push the knobs back in. Simple!
- Low Maintenance – I don’t know about you but I prefer to spend my Sunday afternoons doing something other than maintaining my lawn mower. Gas mowers can require a lot of maintenance and their performance is directly impacted if you don’t take care of them. There are all those trips to the gas station, checking that on the oil and changing the spark plugs. With the Fiskars 6207 it is so, so easy. The fact that the StaySharp system keeps the blades sharp means a light clean now and again is probably all you have to do. And of course you don’t need to worry about fuel related issues either.
- Environmentally Friendly – In addition to being really easy to maintain, the mower is really environmentally friendly. This is because you’re not actually using any fuel source to power the mower. You are the one powering the mower.
- No Starting Problems – When using a mower that is powered by some sort of energy source there is always the chance that something could go wrong. With gas mowers sometimes you have to pull the starter cord multiple times before it will fire up (and sometimes it won’t even start), with corded electric mowers there is always the possibility of technical failures and with cordless electric mowers batteries can fail. With this mower you can be sure that when you step outside to do the job, the job will get done. Not only is it guaranteed that the mower is going to work, it will start cutting instantly.
Fiskars 6207 Review – How Did It Perform?
- Cutting Performance – In regular grass (4 – 5 inches, evenly spread) the Fiskars cut smooth as silk. The Inertia Drive feature did make me feel like I had more power at my disposal, but it wasn’t easy going in thick patches of grass. I think this is something you just have to accept when you are using a reel mower. I did find that if you approach these patches with a little more speed then you will achieve the desired result. Another thing to note is that it won’t usually deal with weeds too effectively. You will probably need to use a weed-whacker on these before you start mowing. As long as you buy it with these things in mind you won’t be disappointed. The other thing I need to comment on is about how the clippings are propelled forwards after they’ve been cut. On one hand I kind of like this because it means they get cut even smaller by going through a second cycle, so the clippings are fine enough to leave on your garden as mulch. However when dealing with longer grass, if you are using a lower cut setting straightaway (not recommended) then having to cut over the longer clippings for a second time can make it more difficult to push the mower. Also, because the clippings are thrown in a forward direction, it can get a little messy at the end of each pass (clippings go on pathways and flowerbeds).
- Maneuverability – Fiskars claim that this mower is 40% easier to push them other reel mower on the market. I don’t think I really agree. I didn’t find it overly difficult to push but I wouldn’t say it’s any easier than other models. The one thing I would comment on is that the larger rear wheels make it difficult to get close to things like fences and walls. This means you will probably have to go around your lawn with a strimmer after you’ve finished.
- Usability – On the whole the mower is pretty easy to use. The cutting heights are easy to change, it’s not difficult to push and there’s not really much to worry about. There are no issues with starting it up, you just push until you’ve finished and then you stop. Nothing more to say really.
Fiskars 6207 Review – Who Should Buy This Mower?
This is a good option for small garden owners that are looking for a cheap and efficient way to maintain their lawn. It performs best on gardens that are fairly even and when the grass is cut regularly.
Fiskars 6207 Review – Who Shouldn’t Buy This Mower?
Medium and large sized garden owners! Why? Because it would take you forever. If you don’t mind spending hours cutting your lawn or you have a desire to keep in shape then maybe you could still consider it. But for the majority of people that’s not going to be applicable. I also wouldn’t recommend it if you are looking for a mower that will deal effectively with weeds or extremely thick varieties of grass. Under those conditions your best bet is to go for a powered mower. Fiskars are definitely helping to improve the standard of reel mowers. This one comes with some innovative features and there are many positive aspects to it. Provided you use it in the right conditions it could be a great investment because it should last you for years with minimal maintenance.