Are you interested in going green with your new lawn mower? Or perhaps you just want a cheap, hassle free way to maintain your garden? If so the Fiskars 6201 is one of your options. Real mowers are fairly basic in design generally but this model takes it to the next level. It boasts new technology such as InertiaDrive, VersaCut and a StaySharp cutting system to try and complete the job as effectively as possible. On paper it looks like a dream but how did it perform in reality? I was lucky enough to get my hands on one and tested it out on my garden.
Fiskars 6201 Review - Specifications
|Cutting Width||18 inches|
|Cutting Heights||1 - 4 inches|
Fiskars 6201 Review – Key Features
- Setting Up – We give Fiskars a lot of credit for the fact that the supporting documentation they supply with the mower is pretty solid. Simple instructions that are easy to follow and you only need to screw in four bolts and you’re ready to go – make sure these are on tight though! It took me about 10 minutes in total after I had unboxed it.
- Size and Build – As soon as you unbox this you feel like it’s the real deal. It’s not a product that has been put together as cheaply as possible – quality components have gone into the construction of the Fiskars Momentum. In terms of size it’s not the biggest model out there, but with a cutting width of 18 inches you can cut a decent amount of grass with each pass you make.
- StaySharp Cutting System – The problem with most real mowers is that the blades come in constant contact with the reel assembly and the resultant friction causes the blades to dull rapidly. However on this model the blades never actually come into contact with the reel assembly, drastically reducing the amount of friction the blades experience which in turn prolongs their life.
- InertiaDrive Reel – The fact that the mower has a large diameter InertiaDrive reel is supposed to provide you with more power than traditional reel mowers. So you know how with reel mowers in the past, every time you ran over a twig you had to bend down and take it out because the mower simply didn’t have enough power to cut through it… this feature is supposed to provide you with the power to cut through it.
- Cutting Heights – With a range of cutting heights that go as low as 1 inch and as high as 4 inches, you are prepared for the vast majority of situations. The thing I really like about this model though is the fact that you can control the cutting height with a single lever. This allows you to change the height in a couple of seconds and is real easy to do. I’ve seen this feature on loads of electric and gas powered mowers, but never on a reel mower.
- Inset Wheels – The design of this model has been well thought out. Too many mowers have big chunky wheels that don’t allow the blade to get anywhere near the edges of your lawn. However, Fiskars have been clever and the large rear back wheels are inset so the 18 inch blades are free to get as close to the edge as possible. This is definitely handy when it comes to mowing along fence lines or wall lines.
- Forward Discharge – This was another first for me. I’ve never seen a hand powered mower discharge the clippings forwards. The idea behind this is that you won’t have to put up with your legs and feet being caked in grass clippings any more.
Fiskars 6201 Review – How Did It Perform?
- Cutting Ability – Providing you keep your lawn to a decent length this mower will do the business. The problems only start when you expect it to scythe down long grass. You have to realise that is simply not designed for that. I found that it works better on thick grass types than on thin wispy grass types. It won’t power through those tall spindly weeds either. I would also advise you to play around the height settings when you first get it to figure out what works best.
- Grass Collection – You are now able to buy an optional grass catcher for this model. I wasn’t able to test it out myself but I can comment on the front discharge feature of this model though. The idea behind it is good and it works fine as long as you don’t try and take off too much grass at a time. So if your grass is 5 or 6 inches long, don’t try and take it down to 1 inch instantly. Not only will this make it very difficult to move, the clippings discharged will prevent the mower from doing an efficient job.
- Manoeuvrability – On the whole I found it easy to push. In fact it was comparable with some of the electric powered mowers I have used in the past. As long as you get the handle height right then it should be comfortable mowing for you. As an added bonus you’ll also get a little cardio workout too!
- Ease of Operation – How hard is pushing? That’s about all you have to do with this mower. There’s no starting it up, changing fuel or going to the waste bin to empty your clippings. The ability to push forward in a straight line is pretty much all you need to know. This thing is quiet too. The soft whirling sound of the blades was actually pretty relaxing when I was out there. The thing I liked about using a quiet mower is the fact that I could get out in my garden really early to beat the heat and still not annoy my neighbours. The cutting height is also is as easy to adjust as it could possibly be.
Fiskars 6201 Review – Who Should Buy This Mower?
If you’re willing to put the extra time and effort in, this mower could be used on a lawn of any size. The 18 inch cutting width does make it more suitable to small and medium-sized gardens though. This just a great option for anyone that wants to go eco-friendly with their new mower and is prepared to get out there and cut their lawn regularly. Regular cuts ensure optimum performance with this model. It does work best if you use it on level ground too.
Fiskars 6201 Review – Who Shouldn’t Buy This Mower?
First things first, if you frequently let your lawn get out of control don’t buy this mower. It’s true that it does provide more power than any other reel mower I have tried but it doesn’t perform miracles. For extremely overgrown grass you need a gas mower, not a people powered machine. Also if you have a large lawn and aren’t ready to invest more time than it would take with a gas powered lawn mower then don’t consider this model. I would also be a little bit sceptical about using this mower if you have a lot of uneven ground on your property or your lawn is populated by a thin grass type. I think I’ve put the record straight as to who should be buying this mower and who shouldn’t. The thing you have to bear in mind when you are looking for your next mower is that each mower can perform well if used in the right conditions. If used for the wrong type of job this is when people get frustrated and angry – but usually it’s actually their own fault for choosing the wrong type of mower. If you think this one’s for you then head over to Amazon as they have it available for a great price and will ship it for free to you.