Corded electric string trimmers are an affordable alternative to gas and battery powered models, and since its release, the Toro 51480 has been consistently voted in the top ten string trimmers by consumers across the country. Toro actually serve more commercial clients than residential clients and are accustomed to producing products that not only offer a high level of performance but stand the test of time too.
As the only model currently in Toro's corded range, the Toro 51480 offers a larger cutting width (14 inches) than any of their cordless models. Provided you don't mind dealing with a cord, this model is a good fit for maintenance of a small yard. It comes with a host of features that help to minimize the time you need to spend maintaining your garden, possesses Toro's innovative trimmer-to-edger mechanism and comes with a full 2 years warranty.
Is the Toro 51480 Right for You?
Here are the Benefits of the Toro 51480 String Trimmer:
- One thing that many people worry about with regards to yard tools powered by electric is whether they are powerful enough. You don’t have to worry about that though as the Toro 51480 is fitted with a powerful 5 amp motor and deals with any obstacle that would be found in a regular yard. It’s handy to have that kind of power at your disposal if there are times when your lawn might get a bit overgrown (such as vacation time), as the job won’t be any tougher than usual.
- Many manufacturers are offering dual purpose trimmers/edgers now, but Toro’s are amongst the best out there. There is an easy to use “touch and twist” mechanism that turns the head and converts it into an edger in seconds. Why spend extra money on a standalone edger when you’ve got both tools rolled into one here? The great thing about the edger on this one though is the guiding wheel Toro have incorporated into the design, supporting the weight of the trimmer for you (in addition to helping you keep your edges nice and straight), allowing you to complete the job more comfortably.
- The shaft on this model is made from sturdy aluminum and you can adjust it to a length that is comfortable for you to use. The support handle can also be adjusted and helps you to support the weight of the trimmer when working, minimizing wear and tear on your body.
- The line will break as you trim and edge your lawn, there’s no getting away from that, but Toro’s automatic feed system helps you to replace the line with the minimum of fuss. When you need more line simply take your finger off the trigger for a second, re-engage and the line will be restored to the optimum cutting length automatically. There’s no need to mess around doing it manually, saving you heaps of time.
Here are the Reported Disadvantages of the Toro 51480
- Some users have found the Toro 51480 a little on the heavy side. As the heaviest of the Toro string trimmer range at 7.5 pounds, you would be well advised to adjust the handles to positions that make the weight easier to deal with and the purchase of a shoulder strap (which aren’t expensive) would be a good idea too.