The Sun Joe HJ602C is one of the best selling hedge trimmers out there and is highly recommended for light trimming. Let’s face it, not everyone needs a super duper, all mighty hedge trimmer that will rip right through inch thick branches or whatever else it comes across. In fact for a lot of small yards that would be total overkill. But even small amounts of yard maintenance can seem to take an age with manual sheers. This powered set of trimmers is a great compromise, allowing you to spend less time working in the garden and more time admiring the results of your work.
Some people even buy the Sun Joe HJ602C to compliment a larger hedge trimmer they have. It’s a great addition to your arsenal for touching up shrubs and hedges, with its compact, handheld design offering you more control than almost any other option out there. The cordless aspect offers yet more maneuverability and is great for anyone that doesn’t particularly like messing around with cables or gas.
Here are the Benefits of the Sun Joe HJ602C Hedge Trimmer:
- With the Sun Joe HJ602C there two different blade attachments, allowing you not only to take care of shrubs and hedges, but also the edges of your grass. The 5 inch blade attaches really easily and is just the right size for light trimming work. It’s more for touching up than anything but does a good job. If you do want to use it for your grass, it’s easy to change the blades and insert the smaller 3.31 inch blade. This comes in really handy for awkward areas that your lawn mower won’t get to, such as around trees and tight up against sheds, walls and fences. The cut you get isn’t the best out there, but for the price you pay it is satisfactory. Using it on anything more than thin twigs, leaves or grass is likely to leave you disappointed though.
- For a unit priced so affordably it’s nice to see a lithium-ion battery, which normally offer superior performance to Ni-Cad batteries in almost every way. This one in particular recharges nice and quickly, with a full charge achieved in roughly 3 hours. But the best part about it is the runtime. You can expect at least 45 minutes of quality performance from this unit before the battery’s charge starts to drain and affect cutting performance. Not surprisingly, it’s not the most powerful tool out there, nor is it going to tear through everything in sight, but the power it supplies is adequate for light maintenance.
- If you only have to do a bit of light trimming in your yard from time to time, it makes no sense to buy a bigger model, which takes more effort to carry around and will ultimately cost more too. The Sun Joe HJ602C has a nice compact design and can be controlled using just one hand. There are no aches and pains to suffer when using this one, even if you were to use it for hours on end.
- The instant start ups you get are just another added bonus. No need to put your back out or get frustrated when it comes to yard duties as this trimmer starts up without any hassle whatsoever.
Here are the Reported Disadvantages of the Sun Joe HJ602C:
- While the safety switch is a nice feature in terms of preventing accidents, its positioning and functionality have posed somewhat of a problem for some users. To power on the Sun Joe HJ602C you have to not only hold down the starter trigger, but you have to hold down the safety switch too. For people with small hands this has proved both challenging and uncomfortable, and can lead to hands becoming fatigued fairly quickly. Some people have got around this problem by taping the safety switch into the “on” position, meaning they only have to take care of the starter trigger.
- Some people have also cited a lack of power as one drawback of this model. This is only really a disadvantage if you use it for tasks it is not intended for though. When we say it is for light trimming, we really mean it. If you buy the Sun Joe HJ602C with the expectation that it will cut easily through branches, you will be severely disappointed. Twigs, leaves and grass – that’s all you can expect it to deal with – you’ve been warned.