If you're in the market for an affordable gas mower, the PowerSmart DB8621P is definitely worth a look. It's designed with the small yard owner in mind, with a 21-inch deck and lightweight design (for a gas mower) making it easier to operate in tight spaces than other options in this category. As per our ongoing mission, we’ve done some digging and in our PowerSmart DB8621P review, we’re going to talk about the pros and cons we most commonly came across, as well as who we think this mower is most suited to.
PowerSmart DB8621P Review - Specifications
|3-in-1: Mulch, Bag or Side Discharge
|1.18 - 3 inches
PowerSmart DB8621P Pros: What People Like About this Mower
During our research, we discovered that there’s definitely a lot to like about this PowerSmart mower. The most commonly mentioned pros are outlined below.
- Cuts Well + Decent Engine – We found during our research that on the whole consumers were more than happy with the cutting ability of the PowerSmart DB8621P. The engine provides you with the power you need to push right through most conditions you are likely to find in your yard, and should be capable of dealing with overgrown grass if you need it to.
- Starts Up Easily – This is always a bit of a worry for most people when buying a gas mower. “Will it start up? Am I going to put my shoulder out just to be able to mow the damn lawn?” And it’s true that starting some gas mowers up is like an intense workout in the gym. But not with the PowerSmart DB8621P. We found that the overwhelming majority of consumers said that it starts up easily, and mostly on the first pull.
- Easily Maneuverable – This is an entry-level gas mower, so there's no self-propel feature, but you shouldn't need it. At 66 lbs it's not much heavier than some electric mowers, and most people find it to be lightweight enough and easy to push around their yard. It’s true that the wheels on this model are not the best, but are adequate for mowing across most terrain.
- Quick Assembly – It shouldn't take you long to get up and running. Most people report having it fully assembled and ready to go in 20 minutes or less. If this is your first mower, particularly with it being a gas model (you'll need to add gas and oil after assembling it), it may take you a bit longer.
- Easy Peasy – As we mentioned, this is a pretty bog-standard gas mower, so there's nothing too complicated about operating it. Like with the last point; if you've owned and used a gas mower before, you'll likely get the hang of it almost instantly. If you haven't, it still shouldn't take more than a few minutes to figure out.
- Affordable Price Point – As far as gas mowers go, there are a few cheaper options out there, but this is definitely on the more affordable end of the scale, and the features and quality of cut you get represent good value for the money paid.
PowerSmart DB8621P Cons: What People Complain About
Our goal is always to provide a balanced overview of the reality in terms of what consumers are saying about any given product that we review. So to that end, our PowerSmart DB8621P review wouldn’t be complete without touching on the negative feedback we came across during our research.
- Quality Control Issues? – There potentially seems to be some quality control issues with the manufacturer of this product. We came across several consumers that had either received a product that was broken on arrival or broke after just a handful of uses. And there was no real pattern in terms of which component of the mower was defective in these cases. Sometimes it was the engine, sometimes the wheels, and other times the handle. These cases were definitely not extremely common, but there were enough of them to make us think that there's potentially an issue with the quality control overseen by the manufacturer. This is a real shame, as it seems like if you get a functional unit, it's a real solid mower for a good price, but obviously if you get a dud, it just turns into a hassle. This is probably a good point to mention that the mower comes with a 2-year warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions About the PowerSmart DB8621P
Is the PowerSmart DB8621P self-propelled?
No, the DB8621P is a push mower, so you'll need to push it around your lawn using your own force.
Does it have a primer bulb?
Yes, this model does feature a primer bulb.
What warranty does it come with?
It has a 2 year limited warranty.
What oil is needed for use with this mower?
It requires 15.2 fl.oz of 10W30 motor oil. You can find this here.
The Bottom Line
We've talked about the good, the bad, and now it's time to wrap up our review of the PowerSmart DB8621P. Here are our final thoughts...
Leave It on the Shelf
PowerSmart DB8621P Review Conclusion:
The PowerSmart DB8621P is a decent proposition for anyone in the market for an entry level gas mower. We've had to knock down our score due to suspected quality control oversights, which is a mighty shame. But if you can look past that this is an easy to use piece of kit that does the business.