If you've settled on a corded electric mower and you want something a bit better than an entry-level model, the Earthwise 50520 is a great option. It offers a 3-in-1 cutting system (so you can bag, mulch or discharge clippings), easy to use cutting height adjustment, and its 20-inch cutting frame makes it a good fit for both small and medium-sized lawns. In this Earthwise 50520 review, we're going to talk through the main pros and cons we believe apply to this mower based on our research, in addition to pointing out who might end up loving it should they choose to buy it.
Earthwise 50520 Review - Specifications
|Deck Size||20 inches|
|Cutting Modes||3-in-1: Mulch, Side Discharge & Rear Bag|
|Cutting Heights||1.75 - 4 Inches|
Earthwise 50520 Pros: What Consumers Like About This Mower?
- Cuts Like a Dream – Some mowers look great and cut poorly. Others look rather suspect but then amaze you and do the business. The Earthwise 50520 both looks the part AND delivers, which is rather refreshing. We scanned lots of user experiences during our research, and people seem to rate this as a pretty powerful mower. Not only will it take care of lawns that are regularly trimmed and kept to a respectable length, it'll also cut through tougher stuff too. We've read about lots of positive results on thicker grass types, as well as on longer grass.
- Super Reliable + Easy to Start – The last thing you want to do is get all frustrated and sweaty before you even start the job, and with the Earthwise 50520 there are no surprises when it comes to getting the mower up and running. It features a very common combination of a push button and safety bail, which provide quick, easy starts when you're out on the lawn. Compared to what you might experience with some gas mowers, this is a luxury. Believe me.
- Robust Build Quality – This is the biggest difference that you'll notice with this model when you compare it against the entry-level mowers in this category that are roughly half the price of this one. As a package, it's put together nicely. And the fact that the main body of the unit is made from steel gives it a much more solid feel. So if you do accidentally go over a stray rock, you don't have to worry about it cracking the deck.
- Grass Catcher Works Well – You’ve got options with the Earthwise 50520 – you can mulch and side discharge your clippings too – but we found a lot of consumers that spoke about how well this unit bags the clippings in particular. Other mowers have issues with the clippings not being diverted to the bag very efficiently, but not here. It’s easy to take off and reattach the bag when it needs emptying too.
- Folding Handles for Better Storage – Most electric mowers these days come with this feature. Even so, it's certainly nice to have. There is a fastener on either side of the handlebar, about halfway down, and you just loosen these and the handle will fold right over onto the deck. So it takes up considerably less space than it would otherwise.
Earthwise 50520 Cons: What People Complain About
- It’s Heavy – One of the drawbacks of this being built from better quality materials is that some people find it to be heavy. At over 50 lbs, it's certainly not one of the lighter corded electric units you'll come across. And as this is a push model as opposed to a self-propelled mower, this is something to bear in mind. How strong are you? If the answer is "not very" then it could be wise to look at a few lighter options.
- Cutting-Heights are Lacking – Earthwise tick most of the boxes with cutting height on the 50520. It's easy to adjust using the single lever on the side of the unit. The options go right up to 4 inches (perfect for those times when your grass is longer than usual). But they fell short (quite literally) at the other end of the scale. The shortest cutting height is 1.75 inches, which is actually quite long. Quite a few consumers mentioned this as a particular frustration, as it doesn't provide their lawn with the finish they'd like. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is – would 1.75 inches be a short enough cut for you?
Frequently Asked Questions About the Earthwise 50520
How long is the warranty?
The warranty on the Earthwise 50520 is 2 years.
Does it come with the extension cable?
There's no extension cable included.
How big are the wheels on this mower?
The front wheels are 7 inches and the rear wheels 9.5 inches.
The Bottom Line
The Earthwise 50520 isn't the ideal mower for everyone, so we're going to outline the scenarios that we believe it's best suited to.
Leave It on the Shelf
Earthwise 50520 Review Conclusion:
The Earthwise 50520 is a solid mid-range electric mower that really delivers in terms of the cut and the overall ease of use. It's on the heavier end of scale for a corded model, but providing you can manage its weight, it's a reliable yard tool that should give you several years of decent service.