For the small garden owner many of the models on the market today are too big. If you don’t like the idea of using a hand powered reel mower, then you should definitely take a look at the Earthwise 50214.It’s one of the smallest powered mowers on the market and at first glance it looks well designed. It’s powered by an electric cable, which is really cost efficient and environmentally friendly. But is this model worth the money? In this review I’m going to look over the features, comment on how it performs and recommend who this mower would be suitable for.
Earthwise 50214 Review - Specifications
|Power||8 Amp Mower|
|Deck Size||14 inches|
|Cutting Modes||2-in-1: Mulch & Side Discharge|
|Cutting Heights||1.5 - 4 Inches|
Guaranteed Best Price on Amazon
Earthwise 50214 Review – Key Features
- Assembly – Assembly of the mower was fairly straightforward. All I had to do was un-box it and then attach the handle. From start to finish it probably took me 10 to 15 minutes.
- Size and Build – In terms of size, the cutting deck is tiny in comparison to those gas guzzling beasts you often see people using – it’s only 14 inches. This makes it a perfect choice for small gardens and it also allows you to easily manoeuvre it in an out of tight spaces. I was personally impressed with the construction – it is made of plastic, but the plastic is solid and looks like it will last for decent length of time. In the past this model used to have a poor wheel design, but the manufacturer has rectified this by changing the way the wheel connects to the main unit. As a result the wheels feel a lot sturdier.
- 2-in-1 System – I was impressed that this model provides you with two different cutting options as many basic corded electric mowers only offer one. You can either mulch or side discharge with this mower. I would like to see an optional grass bag, but that alone would not put me off buying this mower. Mulching is great as it basically provides you with free fertiliser for your grass. If you care about the health of your grass this is a great way to recycle the clippings. The protective safety flap at the back of the unit did get a bit annoying when I was mowing the grass at the side of my home (which is pretty uneven), but you can remove this if needed.
- Height Adjustment – It might seem a little crazy to get excited about such a simple feature but I absolutely love one touch height adjustment systems. They are just so convenient and efficient. You can change the cutting height on all four wheels in just a second. On this mower the lever is located at the back on the right hand side as you stand behind the mower. It’s easy to adjust and you’ve got seven different height settings to choose from. Seven is LOADS for a mower in this price range and they go from 1.5 inches to 4 inches. That’s a nice range as you’ve got the highest settings to manage the grass if it does get over grown but you also have the shorter cut settings to give your lawn a nice clean finish.
- 8 Amp Motor – The 8 amp mower on this model provides the mower with a good power to size ratio. Granted is not as good as on some other models (the Sun Joe MJ401E comes to mind) but it’s still a lot better than many other entry-level corded electric mowers that often only have 6.5 amp motors.
- Easy to Start – Many people love how easy electric mowers are to start in comparison to gas mowers. This Earthwise 50214 is no exception. It starts up with the simple turn of a switch. Not only does it start easily but it’s a reliable starter too. It starts first time, every time.
- Virtually Maintenance Free – There is practically no maintenance to do on this model. You don’t need to bother with fuel and you don’t need to remember to change oil. Probably the only things you need to remember are to keep the underside of the mower free from clippings and to sharpen the blade once in awhile.
- Environmentally friendly – If you want to do your bit to help save the planet, then this mower is the one to buy. There are no harmful emissions produced, no toxic smells and no excessive noise levels.
- Storage – Storage problems will be a thing of the past with the Earthwise 50214. It’s extremely compact to start with but then the handle folds over and it gets even smaller. If your shed is anything like mine the small storage footprint will be a godsend.
Earthwise 50214 Review – How Did It Perform?
- Cutting Ability – I had absolutely no complaints about the way it went about its business. The decent selection of cutting heights you get were really useful in tall grass. The mower was more than powerful enough to cut through everything I tested it on. Yeah it does bog down slightly in thick patches of grass (but come on, you have to expect that!) but it didn’t conk out. It also did an impressive job when mulching. The thing you always have to look out for with mulching mowers is clumps of grass being left on your garden. Well this one didn’t leave any. It just left finally chopped clippings that provided my lawn with vital nutrients.
- Manoeuvrability – This mower was an absolute pleasure to push. I’ve used some really heavy mowers in the past, and at only 36 lbs this one was really light weight. The durable plastic construction really helps here and you’ll find you can control it with just one hand on the handle. The mower also has larger rear wheels and these make it easier to push too.
- Usability – There’s nothing to it really. Flip a switch and push. That’s seriously about as complicated as it ever gets. The fact that there’s virtually no maintenance to do means that the only time you spend with your lawn mower is the time you spend cutting your grass. The sound it produces is equivalent to a loud hum and is not significant enough to get on peoples nerves. This is great as you can pretty much mow at any time you want, without worrying about waking anyone up.
Earthwise 50214 Review – Who Should Buy This Mower?
This mower would be absolutely perfect for anyone that has to take care of a smaller size garden. When you’ve only got a small garden it doesn’t make sense to spend hundreds on a bigger model. The Earthwise 50214 provides everything you need at a great price point. I have heard other people say they use this model on larger gardens, to reach the areas that their ride-on can’t get to. Also you need to be aware that you will have to mulch or discharge your clippings – personally I would make use of the mulch feature as if done regularly it really does improve the health of your lawn.
Earthwise 50214 Review – Who Shouldn’t Buy This Mower?
To be honest this mower performs great and the only thing preventing it from being effective on other types of garden is its size. The 14 inch cutting width really confines it to smaller gardens. Whilst it would cut the grass effectively on medium and large size gardens, the extra time it would take you to do the job (due to the small cutting width) wouldn’t be worth it. Also if you are adamant you aren’t a fan of mulching or raking your clippings up after you’ve finished mowing, then you probably don’t want to spend money on this model as it doesn’t have the ability to bag clippings.The Earthwise 50214 is one of the best mowers I have seen at this cutting width. I virtually had no complaints about it. I certainly couldn’t find any reason to complain about its cutting performance. Possibly the only thing that would have been nice would the ability to bag clippings. Apart from that it has got a solid construction, is easy to push and does the business.