The Black & Decker LST220 forms part of Black & Decker’s GrassHog range and has proved to be a popular lawn maintenance tool since its release. As one of only two models Black & Decker offer that are powered by lithium-ion batteries, it is packed full of innovative features that are designed to make your life easier, save you time and keep your garden looking tidy. It’s no surprise that it is amongst the best selling cordless models available.
Cordless electric appliances and tools have become increasingly popular amongst homeowners in recent years, and with battery technology improving every year that trend is set to continue. With the Black & Decker LST220 you are armed with lithium-ion batteries, as opposed to NiCad batteries used in cheaper models. These are not only lighter but are better at holding a charge if maintained properly. Using a battery to power your weed eater also makes it far easier to start than most gas trimmers – you are up and running with the pull of a trigger.
Here are the Benefits of the Black & Decker LST220 String Trimmer:
- Black & Decker provide you with two lithium-ion batteries with this model, which on average will provide you with 15-20 minutes of cutting time each. This should be more than enough if you have regular sized yard you need to maintain, but probably won’t be sufficient to take care of a large piece of land – unless you are willing to do the job over the course of a few days. The batteries take around 6-8 hours to charge and are a lot smaller/lighter than older types of battery, making the unit easier to handle and control.
- The Black & Decker LST220 makes use of the Groom’N’Edge cutting head, so with a quick adjustment you can use it as an edger too. This means you can transition quickly from trimming to edging and there’s a metal guide that you can pull down to help you keep a steady hand along the edges of your lawn. Particularly handy if you don’t have a budget big enough for both a powered weed wacker and edger.
- Cutting grass, weeds or whatever else you have in your yard, can only be done efficiently if the line is at the right length. If the end breaks off, the shortened line just won’t get the job done. Luckily, with the Black & Decker LST220 you won’t have to stop and pull out some more line yourself every time this happens, as it is fitted with an automatic feed spool. This uses centrifugal force to automatically feed out more line when a piece breaks off. Really convenient and saves a lot of time.
- Not everyone is the same height. We come in all shapes and sizes and the adjustable handle feature on this trimmer ensures you will find a position that is comfortable for you. Handling a trimmer incorrectly over a period of time can cause serious back problems – but this handle helps to eliminate that risk.
Here’s the Reported Disadvantages of the Black & Decker LST220:
- The amount of runtime you get from this weed eater isn’t huge. As previously mentioned, each battery offers around 15-20 minutes of runtime (depending on the conditions you use it in) and might not be suitable for those of you who own larger gardens.
- Some users have reported a lack of power when edging and that the battery drains much faster when used in this mode.