The MM875 is part of Black & Decker’s Lawn Hog series and is powered by an electric cord. You should consider buying a corded model if you have a fairly small yard, as the cord does limit you to a 100 foot radius from the power point. The main difference between the MM875 and the MM675/575 is the fact that you have a rear bag here instead of a side bag. Personally we think this is better because it does not get in the way if you want to mow next to walls or fences. So why is this model one of the best selling corded electric mowers out there? Let’s find out.
Black & Decker MM875 Review - Specifications
|Manufacturer||Black & Decker|
|Deck Size||19 inches|
|Cutting Modes||Mulch, Rear Bag & Discharge (Optional)|
|Height Adjustment Type||Single Lever|
|Cutting Heights||1.25 - 3.5 inches|
Black & Decker MM875 Review – Key Features
- Motor – It’s powered by a 12 amp motor, which is more than enough for light duty lawn care of a small domestic yard and allows you to mulch or bag your clippings.
- Cutting Deck – This particular model has a 19 inch deck, which is plenty big enough for a smaller yard and is actually slightly bigger than most other models.
- Reliable starts – You really don’t have to worry about shutting this mower off. Why? Because it will start right back up again. Great if you missed something on your yard like a rock or something and you need to stop and remove it. The starter lever doesn’t feel as solid as the rest of the mower to be honest though. It definitely has question marks over its durability.
- Handle – The handle is adjustable which is a real bonus for taller people. On a lot of mowers the handle is just a set height, and if that’s too low for you, you end up leaning over it which can lead to back problems. You’ve also got a nice cushioning on the handle which reduces the vibration that you will feel. Although it’s extremely comfortable and helps reduce vibration produced by the mower, it doesn’t appear to wear well.
- Rear bag – The bag is designed so that it is really easy to remove, empty and then re-attach.
- Easy height adjustment – Its one touch easy to change the cutting height. With one push of a lever all four wheels change height and lock into place. A real timesaver.
- Easy to store – The handle bar folds right down so the mower takes up minimal space. A great bonus if you have very little space spare in your garage or shed.
- Economical to run – This mower is exceptionally cheap to run. It’s powered off the mains and the electricity only costs a few cents per hour. Way cheaper than any other power source.
- Fume free – This is great for both you and our environment. Who really wants to stink of gasoline after mowing the yard? Well with the MM875 you won’t need to go for a shower or wash your clothes after mowing, because there are no fumes or harmful emissions.
- Low maintenance – The main thing is to keep the blade sharp. This mower won’t cut well if it has a blunt blade as it doesn’t have the power to hack grass down. Other than that just keep the underside of the mower clear from grass. A good way to do this is spray the underside with a non-stick spray before you start and cleaning up will be really easy.
Black & Decker MM875 Review – Assembly
- When you receive the mower all you will have to do is attach the handle and you can be mowing within a few minutes of opening the box.
Black & Decker MM875 Review – Performance
- Mulching Ability – If it’s important for you to mulch then you’ve come to the right place. The MM875 creates ultra-fine mulch on demand.
- Manoeuvrability – Its only 52 lbs and this means it’s easy to push. If you are going to use the rear bag then it will get heavier as this starts to fill. Also, its low weight makes it easier to transport. So if you need to carry it to the car or from your front yard to the back then you won’t hurt yourself doing so.
- Noise Levels – Ok, so it’s not silent. A mower could never be silent. But it is a significant improvement on a gas mower.
Black & Decker MM875 Review – Pros
- Really easy to set up
- Pretty light and easy to push
- Rear grass bag is easy to remove and re-attach
- Environmentally friendly option
- Economical to run
- Stores well thanks to folding handlebar
- Adjustable handle for taller people
- Reliable starter
- Minimal maintenance required
- Does a great job at mulching
- Runs quietly
Black & Decker MM875 Review – Cons
- The centre of gravity with the mower seems to be at the front end. This is only really a problem if you have a lot of obstacles in your yard and you need to make a lot of tight turns as it does make sharp turns difficult.
- Starter lever feels a bit flimsy
- Padding on handle not great quality
It’s another lawn mower for a smaller yard. As a general rule, its best to use this on a yard up to ¼ of an acre in size, that is kept to a reasonable length. Also we don’t recommend you use this mower in wet conditions as it won’t perform that well. The MM875 is a solid, reliable, affordable mower from Black & Decker's Lawn Hog range. As long as you use it for the conditions it is designed for you won’t have a problem.