The American Lawn Mower brand is mostly known for producing a line of classic, push reel mowers that rely on “people power” to make their blades turn. The 50514 is a new addition to their range and bucks this trend, as it’s an electric corded model that’s particularly modern looking, and with a 14” cutting width is still aimed at the small yard owner who’s looking to take care of their own lawn. In this American Lawn Mower 50514 review, we going to talk through the pros and cons that we uncovered during our research, as well as the scenarios it's best suited to.
American Lawn Mower 50514 Review - Specifications
|Manufacturer||American Lawn Mower Company|
|Cutting Width||14 inches|
|Cutting Options||2 in 1 - Mulching & Rear Bag Collection|
|Cutting Heights||1 - 2.5 inches (5 Settings)|
|Dimensions||46 x 18.5 x 38 inches|
American Lawn Mower 50514 Pros: What Consumers Like About This Mower?
- Power + Good Cut Quality – This is what any lawn mower must fundamentally do well to be considered a “good mower.” And it would seem that the American Lawn Mower 50514 gets a giant green tick in this box. We found a great many people that were quite shocked about the punch that this little mower packs, as when you first cast your eye over it, it doesn’t exactly look like a lean, mean grass cutting machine. But decent power it certainly has, and that goes a long way to ensuring a decent cut. While we wouldn’t advise you to purchase this if your expectation is for it to tame a backyard lawn that is more akin to a jungle, if you take your time, the 50514 has enough power to handle thicker patches of grass and areas that are a bit overgrown, making it the perfect “weapon of choice” for most folks that have small areas of lawn to maintain.
- Lightweight Mower – It’s mostly made of plastic, which isn’t usually the best in terms of build quality, but it does help to keep this mower nice and light, making it a great choice for people of all ages. It’s also got a carry handle integrated into the design of the main body of the unit, so carrying it to and from the lawn is a breeze.
- Goes Together Easy Enough – I've put together plenty of flat pack furniture in my lifetime, and if there's one thing I hate, it's confusing instructions and an overcomplicated assembly process. It's a quick, easy way to kill any of the excitement you had for the product you bought. The good news is that we didn’t come across anyone that found the American Lawn Mower 50514 difficult to assemble, and most people had it put together within 10 minutes of unpacking it.
- Handles Nicely – The fact that it's so lightweight at just over 25 lbs and has fairly decent wheels makes it nice and easy to handle. Weaving around obstacles and turning in tight spaces is not difficult. In fact, quite a few people buy this mower to complement a larger ride-on mower for just these reasons.
- Affordable Way to Maintain Your Lawn – The price-quality ratio here is spot on. It’s a very affordable mower and has all of the features, as well as the power, needed to maintain a small yard. There are quite a few more expensive models available that don’t do nearly as good a job, and while it certainly won’t provide you with a “putting green” finish (no mower around this price will), it’s satisfactory for most and saves you from having to pay nearly the same amount on a regular basis to have a landscaping pro come in.
American Lawn Mower 50514 Cons: What People Complain About
- Bag Fills Very Quickly – It’s not a very big mower and as a consequence, the grass bag is on the small side. Quite a few consumers complain about it being too small, meaning it fills up super quick and needs to be emptied frequently (although the catcher is very easy to empty). This really just emphasizes the fact that the American Lawn Mower 50514 is only meant for small lawns. It should be noted that you do also have the option to discharge your clippings; using the grass catcher is not essential.
- Range of Cutting Heights Very Limited – There are times when your grass may grow longer than normal before you get a chance to cut it (first cut of the year, after you get back from vacation etc), and on those occasions, it can be really helpful to have a mower that offers a wide range of cutting heights, so that you can start high and gradually bring the length of the grass down over several passes, and don't have to put tons of stress on the motor. This mower is somewhat basic in this regard, as it only offers 5 different cutting heights, and they range from 1" to 2.5". Quite a few consumers complain that even the highest cutting height (2.5") is too short. On the plus side, it is a single lever system, so you don't need to adjust each wheel individually.
- Not the Most Robust Build Quality – For this price, you can't expect a steel cutting deck and super robust build quality, but we felt it was still worth pointing so that you're not surprised or disappointed if you do decide to order it. As we mentioned a little earlier, it's mostly made out of plastic and probably wouldn’t last season after season if you’re rough with your mowers. But so long as you clear your lawn of debris before starting and cutting the lawn for you is just a case of a gentle stroll around a small area of grass, then the American Lawn Mower 50514 should be well built enough to survive a few years.
Frequently Asked Questions About the American Lawn Mower 50514
Does it come with an extension cord?
No, the American Lawn Mower 50514 does not come with a power cord and you’ll have to purchase one separately. The manufacturer recommends a 14 gauge cord up to 100 ft, and anything longer than that should be 12 gauge.
How is the cutting height adjusted?
The cutting height is adjusted using the green level next to the front wheel. You need to pull this lever outwards and then move it up or down. This will raise and lower all 4 wheels at the same time.
Does it come pre-assembled?
Pretty much. The assembly process is minimal. You just need to connect the handle to the main body of the unit, and this doesn’t require you to use any tools and should take just a few minutes.
Is the American lawn Mower 50514 self-propelled?
No, this model doesn’t come with a self-propel feature. You will need to push it around your lawn.
The Bottom Line
We've talked about the advantages and shortcomings of the American Lawn Mower 50514 and now we're going to sum up our review and leave you with a few last thoughts on this mower.
Leave It on the Shelf
American Lawn Mower 50514 Review Conclusion:
The American Lawn Mower 50514 is the first motorized model the company has released under this brand and it's proven a success. We can't emphasize enough that it's only really suited to cutting small lawns, due to its size, but if that's what you're looking for, you can't go wrong for the money. Power, good cut and easy to use all-round.