The Worx WG782 is a cordless electric mower and is very similar to their WG775 model. In fact it is the same mower with the addition of a piece of technology they have called “IntelliCut”. Having already used the WG775 I was very interested to see if the IntelliCut technology made much of a difference to the performance of the mower.If you’ve never looked into cordless lawn mowers before there’s never been a better time to get into them. The technology is improving rapidly, you can get longer runtimes than ever before and best of all there is no smells, deafening sounds or pollution. If you want to find out how good this mower really is, continue reading.
Worx WG782 Review - Specifications
|Power||24 Volt Lead Acid Battery|
|Deck Size||14 inches|
|Cutting Modes||3-in-1: Bag, Mulch & Rear Discharge|
|Cutting Heights||1.8 - 3.3 Inches|
Worx WG782 Review – Key Features
- Setting Up – The instruction manual isn’t great, but that’s nothing new to me. I just used the picture on the outside of the box to guide me and I was fine. Basically all I had to do was assemble the handle and charge the battery.
- Size and Build – This thing is tiny in comparison to most other mowers. Some people might even go as far as to call it cute. When you unbox it because it’s so small it does feel a bit like a toy – not because of the quality, just because of the size.The size of the mower offers one obvious advantage the –storing it is so easy !You won’t be surprised to hear that it’s mostly made out of plastic but I didn’t really have any issues with the quality of the product. One thing that did bug me is that the handle height can’t be altered. There’s only one position and whilst I found it okay, a taller person might find it uncomfortable to use.
- IntelliCut – This is the defining feature on this model and is supposed to provide you with that extra bit of oomph to get you through thick and longer patches of grass. There’s a little dial you can turn to change from this to a “normal setting”. Find out later if I thought it made a difference to the performance.
- 24 Volt Battery – This is the heart of the mower. The thing that gives the mower its energy. The manufacturer claims it can cut up to 10,000 ft.² on just a single charge. A little later on in the performance section I will let you know how I got on with the battery.
- 3-in-1 System – I love 3-in-1 mowers because you can make a change on the fly according to the conditions on the day. In the past I’ve had to have two separate mowers -one for bagging and one for mulching.However nowadays most decent mowers provide you with the option to bag, mulch or discharge the clippings. This one is no exception.It also has a blade that has been specially designed to improve mulching performance. So if you’re a fan of mulching (like me) this is a nice little bonus for you.
- Cutting Heights – This is one area where this mower is a little bit weak. It uses the more basic method of altering the height on each wheel individually. Also you only get three different cutting heights, which I don’t think is good enough for a mower of this price.When I tried to change the height, I found it a little bit difficult to actually put the wheel into the slot I wanted. I guess that means they won’t fall out easily though like on some models (which is an absolute pain).
Worx WG782 Review – How Did It Perform?
- Cutting Ability – Do I think that the IntelliCut technology really makes a huge difference? Probably not. I certainly wouldn’t base the decision on whether to buy this or not on this feature alone. I found this mower to be ideal for keeping a garden well maintained. It’s not the right kind of mower if you want something to power through knee-high grass.You’ll need to get out in the garden at least once a week and keep your grass a reasonable length. I also like the fact that the cut was nice and even. It mulches extremely well and I haven’t come across anything that it hasn’t dealt with well.
- Battery Performance – The battery pretty much performed as the manufacturer said it would. It’s important that I state that I used the mower on a lawn that is well-kept and the grass was probably no longer than 3 to 4 inches. Ask the Worx WG782 to do more demanding work and you will see that the runtime you get won’t be as good.On average I got 40 to 45 minutes out of each charge which was satisfactory in my opinion. It was easy to charge and usually took about five hours to charge up again. You have got a power level indicator too, which is a good feature.
- Grass Collection – I wasn’t really a fan of the bagging feature – not because of poor performance but because the bag is so small that I had to stop too frequently to empty it. I prefer mulching anyway so this wasn’t much of a problem for me.
- Maneuverability – I think you probably already know what I’m going to say here. This thing is so light and small that nobody would have a problem moving it around. The wheels are a decent size compared to the mower and it rolls nicely across the lawn. I also found it really easy to carry and put it in my car (I took it to my parents to show them as they were looking for a new one).
- Usability – It’s a very user-friendly mower apart from when it comes to changing the cutting height. However as long as you keep on top of the job you won’t really need to change the cutting height anyway. It’s easy to setup, easy to start, easy-to-use and it stores conveniently. There’s not really much more to say.
Worx WG782 Review – Who Should Buy This Mower?
If you have a small garden you should buy this mower without a doubt. It’s not actually too expensive for a cordless electric mower and providing you treat it right I would expect it to last a good length of time. It’s so maneuverable that it is ideal for any garden that has a lot of tight spots or features and it made light work of the areas around my flowerbeds.
Worx WG782 Review – Who Shouldn’t Buy This Mower?
I definitely would not buy this mower to take care of a large garden and even a medium sized garden is a push. It’s not that the mower isn’t up to the task, it’s more the fact that the cutting width is so small that the job would take you much longer than it really needs to.I also wouldn’t buy this mower with the expectation of cutting long grass. It’s not designed for that and subjecting it to these kinds of conditions will mean you get poor battery performance and you’ll probably end up getting angry.It might only be 14 inches and many people do think it’s just a toy, but don’t let that fool you. This mower packs a punch and when used for the right type of work it’s a gardeners dream. If you are a small gardener owner head over to Amazon.ca right now and pick one up before they sell out.Guaranteed Best Price on Amazon