The MM1800 is what Black & Decker are all about. They have become renowned for their electric lawn mowers over the years and have built up a solid reputation in the industry. If you’re on a budget and in the market for a corded electric mower then this mower is definitely worth a look.The MM1800 is a nice, simple mower designed to keep average sized yards looking lush. Affordable, easy to set up and easy to operate are good first impressions with this mower and after that it doesn’t disappoint.It provides you with a solid workman-like performance that doesn’t let you down. It’s not you’re all out action mower but the chances are that if you’re looking for corded mower, you’re not looking for bells and whistles anyway.We found plenty to like about the MM1800 and to be honest we really struggled trying to find any drawbacks with this machine as you will see a bit further down the page. These points should give you a good insight as to what you will get if you do purchase one of these.
Black & Decker MM1800 Review - Specifications
|Manufacturer||Black & Decker|
|Deck Size||18 inches|
|Cutting Modes||Mulch or Bag u00a0& Discharge (Optional)|
|Cutting Heights||1.25 - 3.5 inches|
Black & Decker MM1800 Review – Key Features
- Starts and stops instantly – We are not having a go at gas powered mowers here but they can sometimes be less reliable to start up (especially right after winter) and they definitely take more effort to start up. Well with the MM1800 all you have to do is pull a handle and you’re away. Fast and reliable start ups – great combination!
- Can mulch or bag clippings – It’s always good to have options and with the MM1800 you can either mulch or bag. The mower is already equipped to mulch and you also get the rear bag with the mower.You can actually discharge clippings too if that’s your preferred method, but you will have to buy an additional attachment to do that. We have personally found that this mower is good for mulching and it also handles other sorts of debris such as leaves well.
- Height adjustment system – If you haven’t already used Black & Decker’s patented height adjustment system then you have been missing out! It’s just so easy to use. There’s a single lever which you use and this changes the height of all four wheels simultaneously. You can literally change your cutting height in a couple of seconds.
- Comfortable – This mower has a nice padded handle which is really comfortable to use and helps make mowing the lawn as fun as it can be. The last thing you want is to be in pain because your mower is uncomfortable.
- Good Cord Connector – This is great, it’s not flimsy like on other models. It does its job and keeps the cord in place. Well done to Black & Decker for that!
- Easy to clean – You have a plastic deck here and these are way easier to maintain than metal decks. The grass clippings don’t stick to them as badly for one thing and you don’t have to worry about rusting either.One thing we would advise you to do is before you start using this mower, spray the underside with a non-stick-spray and then you will find cleaning it even easier. Also it’s easy to flip over and clean – you don’t have to worry about gas and oil leaking everywhere.
- Easy to use grass bag – Black & Decker seemed to have cracked this. The grass bag is super easy to remove and re-attach. Although it’s darn easy to use, the capacity of the grass bag could do with being a bit larger to be honest. Does depend on how much grass you’re intending to cut though and if you plan on mulching then this won’t be an issue.
- Compact storage – You can store this vertically as the handle folds right up and the mower will actually rest on two parts of the handle. This will take up minimal space when storing so is ideal if you don’t have much room left in your shed or garage.
- Can mow forward or backwards – This is probably something that you haven’t really thought about, but it’s actually pretty handy, especially if you have got any hills or tough slopes in your yard.
- Environmentally friendly – A nice bonus of using the MM1800 is that it produces zero harmful emissions. This is better for both you and our planet.
- Easy to transport – This is because the mower is so light. So if you need to store it in the basement or need to put it in your car then it won’t be a problem because it’s light enough to just pick up and carry.
Black & Decker MM1800 Review – Assembly
- Literally anyone can set this up, it doesn’t matter who you are, you WILL be able to set this up. All you really have to do is attach the handle anyway.
Black & Decker MM1800 Review – Performance
- Cutting Ability – Just remember that it’s not as powerful as a gas mower but it does have adequate power to do a good job on a reasonably well kept lawn. It won’t perform well if you intend to use it on long, wet grass (but to be totally honest, not many mowers do!) so please don’t buy one if that’s what you intend to do as you will only get frustrated.Just use common sense. If there are areas of your yard that grow a little taller or thicker, then just move at a slower rate through these areas and give this mower a chance to do its thing.
- Manoeuvrability – This is one of the main reasons for getting a corded electric lawn mower and this model certainly won’t disappoint you. It only weighs 46 lbs and is very easy to push and manoeuvre around your yard. You don’t have a self propel feature, but in all honesty if you did it would be a total waste as you just don’t need it.
- Noise Levels – The MM1800 runs nice and quietly. Your ears won’t be ringing after mowing that’s for sure. You won’t need ear plugs or ear defenders either.
Black & Decker MM1800 Review – Pros
- Set-up is super easy
- Light and easy to push around
- Quiet when you’re using it
- Super easy to clean up
- Grass bag is easy to use
- You’ve got options – bag or mulch clippings
- Stores well as it’s compact
- Easy to use height adjustment
- Starts and stops instantly
- Comfortable handle
- Doesn’t pollute
- Easy to carry
Black & Decker MM1800 Review – Cons
- Grass bag is pretty small
Black & Decker MM1800 Review – Conclusion
This is a great mower if you have a smaller yard or anything up to a ¼ of an acre really. You can tackle a larger yard with this mower but then the cord becomes more of an issue and you are likely to need multiple power points outside.As you can probably tell, we really struggled to find anything wrong with this mower. It does exactly what it’s supposed to do. For the price you pay it’s really well built, solid & reliable and does a very good job both bagging and mulching. Not much left to say apart from….try one.Guaranteed Best Price on Amazon